Standing in the heart of Hanoi, the opera house was located in a beautiful intersection downtown, where five main city roads lead to. The building was completed in 1911 after 10 years of construction, by two French architects, Broyer and V. Harley, resembling the Opéra Garnier de Paris.
The building is 34 meters above the ground and carried out in a total area of 2600 square meters with the 87-meter length and 30-meter width. Its design is strongly influenced by the French architecture style from 19th century. The front facade impresses passerby with French neo-classical design shuttered windows, wrought iron balconies and tiled friezes. The interior design of Hanoi Opera overwhelms visitors with T-shape white marble staircase centered with red carpet, crystal chandeliers, large wall mirrors, Corinthian columns and colorful dome by colorful murals and reliefs.
The auditorium is 24 x 24 meters with three seat floors that include 589 velvet seats. Second and third floor are dedicated for private box seats. The building also has one meeting room called 'Mirror Room', 18 make-up rooms, two rooms for voice training, and a library in the back.
In 1995, the building was restored in preparation for the 1997 summit of La Francophonie, which cost the government nearly 14 million US dollars.